As the leaves turn golden and a cool wind carries the scent of Pacific – or is that the approaching holiday season? –, Sausalito embraces Thanksgiving in a way that’s uniquely captivating.
Imagine spending this quintessentially American holiday in a town that nestles on the edge of the glittering San Francisco Bay, surrounded by rolling hills and painted with a palette of vibrant fall colors. Sausalito, with its stunning natural beauty and warm, inviting community, makes for an unforgettable Thanksgiving destination.
When it comes to savoring the traditional Thanksgiving feast, Sausalito does surprisingly well. From waterfront dining establishments offering turkey with all the trimmings to upscale eateries presenting a California twist on the classic Thanksgiving spread, Sausalito is a food lover’s delight.
While it’s not common to eat Thanksgiving dinner out – or maybe you don’t care about celebrating the holiday at all – there are some options for marking Thanksgiving in Sausalito; here’s a breakdown of your options.
Restaurants Open in Sausalito on Thanksgiving
If you’re not a purist who needs a traditional Thanksgiving menu on the table to enjoy the holiday, then this list will come in handy when you visit Sausalito. I’ve compiled a list of all the restaurants that are open on Thanksgiving in Sausalito (but which don’t serve a special menu):
- Aurora: Pasta lovers, Aurora Restaurant opens its doors to anyone who wants to indulge in a succulent plate of ravioli with a glass of wine for the American holiday.
- Barrel House Tavern: This waterfront restaurant is a favorite of locals. It’s no surprise why. The views are great, the food delicious, and the staff courteous, fast, and friendly. Order the oysters and clam chowder. You won’t regret it!
- Poggio Trattoria: For yet another Italian option, Poggio Trattoria already is an institution in Sausalito. The Tagliatelle and the Agnolotti are just de-light-ful.
- The Spinnaker: One of the best seafood restaurants, The Spinnaker is another restaurant that opens on Thanksgiving in Sausalito. It has great views of the Bay! On a clear day, you can see all the way to Alcatraz, San Francisco, and beyond.
- Seafood Peddler: This is another option for good seafood in Sausalito. Seafood Peddler has been in the gastronomic scene for over 20 years and never ceases to impress the palates of regulars and newcomers with their baked oysters and lobsters.
If you are a purist about what you eat on this specific day, read on.
Restaurants with a Thanksgiving Menu in Sausalito
Whether you want a break from the kitchen or simply want to do something different for this year, here are three restaurants that have offered delicious Sausalito Thanksgiving menus in the past. Hopefully, they will again in 2023!
- Time: 11:30am to 7pm
- Price: $55 per person, prix fixe
Bonjour! The truth is that the French don’t celebrate Thanksgiving. But Le Garage, a French bistro in Sausalito, does.
In previous years, guests have been treated to a French-inspired, three-course Thanksgiving dinner; this year’s menu is another one for the books. The prix fixe menu allows you to choose between a starter of Kabocha Squash Soup or Endive Salad, followed by an entree choice of Cider Brined Roasted Turkey, Pan Seared Salmon Orange Beurre Blanc, or Vegetables Cassoulet. To end the lovely evening, choose between Pumpkin Crème Brûlée or Pecan Pie. Bon appetit!
Salito’s Crab House
- Time: All Day
- Price: $44.99 adults / $19.99 children
Salito’s Crab House is a phenomenal seafood restaurant in Sausalito. On November 25, they concoct a traditional Thanksgiving menu. The moment you sit down, your server will greet you with a delicious Caesar salad. Then, a roasted turkey breast with stuffing, cranberry relish, and yamalitos (no idea what those are!) will be placed before your eyes. To finish, you’ll indulge in the American staple, a pumpkin pie – of course!
- Time: Reservations are available from 12 pm to 6 pm
- Price: Dependent on Choices
If you want to enjoy a traditional Sausalito Thanksgiving meal, there’s no other like The Trident. This old-school restaurant prepares a Special Thanksgiving Menu each year; this year’s has a variety of great choices you can order: the “traditional Pilgrim’s platter” features local ham or turkey with accompaniments, or you can splurge on Maine Lobster Tail or Dry Aged New York Striploin.
You can also choose from their regular options – fancy a ceviche for change? Oh, and the views are the best complement to your food.
Have any other questions about celebrating Thanksgiving in Sausalito? Let me know in the comments.