Traveling with a kid is tough! Heck – having a kid is tough. All kids are different, and each has their own preferences for when, where, how, and what to eat. For that reason, a family meal out at a restaurant frequently becomes a point of stress for some parents. But never fear: Sausalito has some great kid-friendly restaurants.
If you’re planning a day trip or even a weekend, you might wonder which – of all the great spots to eat – are the best kid-friendly restaurants in Sausalito. In this post, I’m breaking that down, using a bit of data analysis and some instincts about places that kids (and parents) will enjoy eating. In the end, you’re sure to find at least one place you can all agree on something to order.
This post was originally published in August 2021, and was re-ranked and updated in February 2022.
The Best Kid-Friendly Restaurants in Sausalito
Rather than rank these kid-friendly restaurants in Sausalito based on my own opinion, I’ve designed my own formula that takes into account three factors:
- public ratings (including my own, as I leave reviews on sites like Yelp, Google, and Facebook too)
- the restaurant’s popularity (total reviews)
- proximity to the Sausalito Ferry
These last two factors are “bonus” factors – they give you a sense of which restaurants are universally beloved and easy to reach if you’re visiting Sausalito.
In the end, each restaurant receives a score out of 5 – but a restaurant can score higher than five based on the bonuses for being close to the ferry and how popular it is. I break ties using the total number of reviews. In general, the higher the score, the better – and any restaurant above 5 is beloved by families! Here is my ranked list of which restaurants are the most kid-friendly in Sausalito:
|2||Barrel House Tavern||4.98||↓1|
|4||Salito’s Crab House & Prime Rib||4.84||↓2|
|6||Saylor’s Restaurant & Bar||4.73 (1473)||–|
|9||Salsalito Taco Shop||4.17||–|
You might be surprised to not see some popular Sausalito restaurants on the list – but all that means is they don’t have a designated kid’s menu. If your kid doesn’t order off the kid’s menu, then you can certainly go to other restaurants in Sausalito instead.
Sausalito Restaurants with Kids Menus
Yes, eating out with kids can require prowess, posing a few challenges for parents who want to enjoy a good meal. But there’s no need to despair. Sausalito has plenty of amazing restaurants that also offer excellent kid menus, so no family members are left aside.
1. Sushi Ran
While the restaurant doesn’t serve a kids’ menu, there are plenty of “family” sushi platters. There are four popular family platters, all beautifully arranged on their traditional Japanese lacquer platters.
The first option is Maki, made of the restaurant’s most popular sushi rolls (72 pieces); then you have Combination, which combines sushi rolls and nigiri on the platter (68 pieces). The third option is Veggie, featuring 78 vegetarian rolls. Last but not least is Family Feast, a wonderful selection including crunch rolls, shrimp tempura rolls, spicy tuna rolls, salmon citrus, and much more!
Once you try Sushi Ran, it will become your family’s favorite sushi restaurant.
2. Barrel House Tavern
Known for its Northern California vibe and locally sourced seasonal menu, Barrel House Tavern is one of the nicest places in Sausalito to enjoy a good meal. Turns out, Barrel House Tavern is also one of the best kid-friendly restaurants in Sausalito.
You can find four options within the kids’ menu, including panko-crusted chicken tenders, cheese flatbread, parmesan butter pasta, and the iconic kid’s cheeseburger.
Barrel House Tavern also has an excellent delivery system if you don’t want to leave your house. All you have to do is order online and get your food delivered right to your doorstep.
Are you dying for a bite of Avatar’s exotic Indian fusion food (who wouldn’t?), but fear your little ones might not enjoy these Eastern-world flavors as much as you? Well, you don’t have to worry since Avatar’s is also one of the Sausalito restaurants with kids’ menus.
Avatar’s kids’ menu doesn’t follow the Indian flavor path and offers American comfort food instead, including cheeseburgers, grilled cheese with fries, French fries, and cheese quesadilla as the most international option. As a heads up, kids’ meals don’t come with traditional buns; instead, they are served with Naan bread (oven-baked flatbread found in many Asian countries.) Keep it in mind if your kids are picky about their bread.
4. Salito’s Crab House & Prime Rib
Fettuccine Alfredo, pasta & butter sauce, fish & chips, and chicken & chips are all the options your kids can enjoy if you book a table at Salito’s Crab House & Prime Rib. Honestly, it is no surprise that this bayside restaurant is one of the top kid-friendly restaurants in Sausalito.
Salito’s Crab House & Prime Rib is known for being a popular venue among families looking to enjoy a casual bite or a full-on feast. Their atmosphere is super welcoming, and there’s plenty of room. If you can, snag a table right next to the water. Besides enjoying a beautiful view of the bay, you and your kids might spot a seal pop up!
Fish, a busy restaurant adjacent to a yacht harbor, is one of the top kid-friendly restaurants in Sausalito. Like the adults’ menu, Fish’s kids’ menu does include some meals prepared with sustainable seafood. You’ll find fish and chips, fish sticks, grilled cheese and fries, and a small pasta with butter and parmesan.
Rumor has it that the fish & chips are absolutely delicious, with a fish that’s perfectly crispy on the outside and super flaky on the inside, while every single chip (French fries) is crispy yet not oily.
The restaurant’s whole atmosphere is kid-friendly as well, but if you want the best spot for families, head to the outdoor seating right on the water.
6. Saylor’s Restaurant & Bar
Inspired by the lifestyle and cuisine of Cabo, Saylor’s Restaurant & Bar is one of the restaurants in Sausalito that are good for kids and adults alike. Their kids’ menu is arguably one of the most extensive ones, including grilled cheese, nachos, cheese quesadilla, chicken strips, grilled cheese sandwich, beans & cheese burrito, Penne pasta, and of course, hamburgers (phew, that was a long list!)
It’s worth mentioning that, while Saylor’s Restaurant & Bar kids menu is absolutely great, the whole menu features plenty of culinary options that might suit younger palates.
7. Le Garage
Given Le Garage is quintessentially French, you might have expected to find it in our list of Sausalito restaurants with kids’ menus. Fortunately, it does. The two French men that run Le Garage have included kids-friendly options that leave all the Frenchiness aside.
Little ones can enjoy American comfort food like grilled cheese, fish & chips, and a kids burger. The ambiance of Le Garage is quite kid-friendly as well. Being near the waterfront, you and your family can enjoy a nice walk along the shoreline after a delicious meal.
8. Bayside Café
A nice little cafe, Bayside Café is known for its extensive (and may we say extremely delicious) fresh juices and smoothies as well as their mouthwatering brunches.
As expected, the Bayside Café kids’ menu is absolutely great. Called the “Kids Corner,” the menu includes a long list of options with Mickey Mouse pancakes, French toasts, two eggs with toast, two eggs with melted cheese, chicken fingers, burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
All kids’ dishes can be paired with Bayside Café’s natural juices or smoothies (highly recommended). If your kids don’t fancy any of the above options, Bayside cafe is among the best spots in Sausalito to get a burger. So, you check them out, too.
9. Salsalito Taco Shop
Salsalito Taco Shop has been serving Baja-style Mexican food with a California twist since 2002, and they have an excellent kids’ menu. You can find it under the name “For the Little Ones” written with the SpongeBob SquarePants font.
Unlike other restaurants mentioned on the list, Salsalito’s kids’ menu has mostly Mexican options, including baby burritos, kiddie quesadillas, kiddie quesadillas with black or pinto beans, chips with melted cheese, and one taco plate.
Other Kid-Friendly Sausalito Restaurants
Some Sausalito restaurants might not offer kid-friendly meals specifically. However, that doesn’t stop them from being great options to grab a bite if you have kiddos. From great hamburgers to the casual atmosphere to fast service, here are four more restaurants in Sausalito you can check out if you have kids.
- Fish & Chips Sausalito – What makes Fish & Chips Sausalito perfect for kids is the casual vibe and quick bites. Serving delicious hamburgers and fish & chips, this lovely shop near the ferry has homey outdoors and indoors seating. They also offer takeaway options, so you can take your food to go and enjoy it with your little ones in the park across the street.
- Hamburgers 237 – Showstopper hamburgers. That’s the main reason why Hamburger 737 is perfect for the little ones. This restaurant in Sausalito is recognized for its hamburgers being incredibly tall. This said you and your family will be in for a good laugh when the kids try to fit the huge burgers in their mouths.
- Napa Valley Burger – Napa Valley Burger is an excellent option to visit with kids if you’re in Sausalito. They do have a pretty decent kid’s menu. However, that’s not the reason it’s kid-friendly. Why then? Because they have some of the best burgers in town and an assortment of over ten types!
- Taste of Rome – Besides having a kids menu, what makes Taste of Rome perfect for families with kids are the service and the casual atmosphere. Compared to other restaurants, Taste of Rome gets crowded, but there are still fewer lines and chaos, and their big indoor and outdoor dining areas are perfect for big families.
Other Kid-Friendly Places in Sausalito
Alright, the following places aren’t restaurants per se, but they still offer some type of food your kids will certainly dig. That counts, right? Below you’ll find four more places you and your kids will love in Sausalito.
- COA Chocolate and Gelato – If your kids crave a sweet treat, COA Chocolate and Gelato are your best bet. With delicious bonbons and ice cream, COA Chocolate and Gelato is a great stop for all families. The workers at the front are very friendly and welcoming, too, and will gently take your kids’ orders. By the way, if you visit during the winter, stop for a hot chocolate, you won’t regret it!
- Firehouse Coffee & Tea – At the heart of downtown Sausalito, Firehouse Coffee & Tea will offer the most heartwarming experience for your little ones. The workers are extremely friendly and patient, and the atmosphere is perfect for a relaxed afternoon with handcrafted drinks after strolling down Sausalito.
- Lappert’s Ice Cream – Fish & Chips Sausalito (mentioned above) is run by Isaac Lappert, who also owns and runs Lappert’s Ice Cream, a cute retro ice cream store. Your kids will love Lappert’s tasty homemade ice cream and extensive selection of flavors. (It’s also the best spot for ice cream in Sausalito!)
- Sausalito Sweets – The name says it all, Sausalito Sweets serves up all the sweet treats your kids will die for! From a dizzying array of truffles and chocolate-covered treats in homemade fudge to refreshing sundaes and smoothies, Sausalito Sweets has it all. Besides the delicious treats, Sausalito Sweets has a nice section with gifts and goodies for you to take as souvenirs.
As you now know, there are plenty of kid-friendly restaurants in Sausalito to choose from. It’s all a matter of choosing a few you adults like, and then letting the kiddo make the final pick. Let me know any questions in the comments!