In the heart of scenic Sausalito, California, a gastronomic adventure awaits that transcends continental boundaries and entices your palate with the rich, diverse flavors of Asia.
This seaside town, renowned for its sweeping views of the San Francisco skyline and the bay, is also a hidden gem for food lovers with a penchant for Asian cuisine. With an array of restaurants dotting its charming streets, Sausalito provides a unique culinary journey that promises to satiate your craving for Eastern fare.
From traditional sushi bars to contemporary fusion establishments, Asian restaurants in Sausalito are as eclectic as they are delicious. Each spot tells a story – of centuries-old cooking techniques, spices traded on ancient routes, and recipes passed down through generations.
Whether it’s savoring the warmth of a bowl of Vietnamese pho, experiencing the burst of flavors in Indian curries, or delighting in the meticulous art of Japanese sashimi, your taste buds are in for a treat. Here’s a guide to all of the Asian restaurants in Sausalito.
This post was originally published in May 2023, and was updated most recently in January 2024.
Chinese Food in Sausalito
The San Francisco Bay Area has an incredible Chinese heritage, dating back to the city’s earliest days. While you certainly won’t find as many options for Chinese food in Sausalito as you might in San Francisco – and especially SF’s Chinatown neighborhood – there is just one good option if the craving for dumplings, noodles, or a rice dish strikes during your Sausalito visit.
- Tommy’s Wok Chinese Cuisine – Tommy’s Wok Chinese Cuisine is known for its delicious dim sum, as well as its full bar with cocktails and Chinese beers. So be sure to come by for a casual meal or happy hour. The menu features a variety of Chinese dishes, including stir-fries, noodle dishes, and congee. And don’t forget to check out the restaurant’s namesake dish – the Tommy’s Wok. The dish is rich with shrimp, chicken, beef, and vegetables, and will leave you wanting more.
There is also a Panda Express in nearby Marin City, if you’re desperate for an alternative. Read more about Chinese restaurants in Sausalito.
Japanese Food/Sushi in Sausalito
Asian immigrants have played an important role throughout the history of the San Francisco Bay Area, and there are plenty of awesome spots to find Japanese food and sushi when visiting this part of the world. If you’re specifically in my little city by the bay and looking for those flavors and dishes, you’ve only got a few options for Japanese food and sushi in Sausalito.
- Sushi Ran – Sushi Ran serves up some of the best sushi in town – both Sausalito and San Francisco. The restaurant is known for its fresh, high-quality sushi and its relaxed atmosphere. It’s the perfect place to enjoy a meal with friends or family. The menu features a variety of sushi rolls, nigiri, and sashimi.
- Sweet Ginger – Sweet Ginger is one of the newer Japanese restaurants in Sausalito that is quickly gaining a reputation for its delicious food and friendly service. This Sausalito Japanese restaurant offers a wide selection of Japanese favorites, including sushi, sashimi, ramen, and teriyaki chicken. While all those foods are great, what I love most about Sweet Ginger is that they offer my absolute favorite Japanese dish, Chicken Katsu.
Read more about the Japanese and sushi restaurants in Sausalito.
Thai Food in Sausalito
While I have pretty strong preferences for various ethnic cuisines, Thai is one of my favorites. There are actually three great Thai restaurants in Sausalito, and each provides a unique take on this dynamic cuisine; there’s more to Thai than Pad Thai. (Don’t be fooled by other websites claiming there are “10 BEST Thai Restaurants in Sausalito” – they’re including nearby communities you can’t reach without a car!) Here’s where you can find Thai food in Sausalito.
- Arawan Thai Cuisine – Arawan Thai Cuisine is one of the most beloved Thai restaurants in Sausalito. A small little joint on Caledonia Street, Arawan is easy to miss if you’re not looking attentively. Their Pad Thai is just phenomenal, reaching the perfect sweet-to-savory ratio; their Tom Kha soup really hits the spot with its tangy notes and rich and creamy texture, especially on a foggy Sausalito day.
- Kitti’s Place Restaurant – Kitti’s Place Restaurant is a family-run joint located on Bridgeway Promenade. A local institution, it’s been delighting the plates of locals for over 30 years. While they mainly have traditional Thai dishes on their menu, Kitti’s Place could be defined as a fusion restaurant. They are famous for serving the best potstickers in Sausalito, with people coming all the way from San Francisco to try them out.
- ThaiTanic Streetfood – ThaiTanic Streetfood stands out as one of the most authentic Thai restaurants in Sausalito for two reasons. One, the venue is designed to recreate the tin-roofed street food stands found everywhere in Thailand. Two, the owner, Dolaya Chaisirikun, has created a menu based on the Thai dishes she misses from home. Their most popular item is the sriracha wings, which are served piping hot in a bowl layered with sauce textured with garlic and offset by crispy Thai sweet basil. Is your mouth watering yet?
Read more about the Thai restaurants in Sausalito.
Indian Food in Sausalito
Indian food is technically Asian food, though I think we can agree that it’s really its own cuisine. Nevertheless, I wanted to include it on this list of Asian restaurants in Sausalito so you’d have a full picture of your options if you’re craving foreign flavors. While Sausalito doesn’t have a dining scene anywhere near as big as San Francisco’s, it does have several varieties of ethnic cuisine – Indian included. There are a handful of Indian restaurants in Sausalito, each worth trying if you have the time.
- Avatar’s – A mix of Indian and Mexican cuisine, Avatar’s food is exceptional and caters to every palate. You’ll find a bunch of vegan, gluten-free, and vegetarian options on the menu. The Punjabi Enchilada is the restaurant’s gem, but their lamb curry and Dal are equally deserving of praise.
- Sartaj India Cafe – Sartaj India Cafe is a good option if you want to enjoy authentic home-cooked Indian food in Sausalito. A family-run restaurant, Sartaj India Cafe is one of the few Indian restaurants in Sausalito that conjures up delicious North Indian dishes. Paratha, Mango Lassi, and Vegetable Samosa are a must, but try their varieties of Thalis and Chapati if you’re going with a big group.
- Taste of Himalayas – Taste of Himalayas isn’t strictly one of Sausalito’s Indian restaurants since they offer a Himalayan fare as the name suggests. For those who don’t know, Himalayan cuisine is a fantastic blend of Nepalese, Tibetan, and Indian dishes. Sounds delicious, right? Here are my recommendations: if you’re craving Indian cuisine, order the soft and crispy Samosa Chaat or Tikka Masala; for Nepalese, go with the delicious Goat Curry.
Read more about the Indian restaurants in Sausalito.
Have any questions about the myriad Asian restaurants in Sausalito or where to eat? Let me know in the comments below!